I know many people will be astounded by this revelation. They may have nostalgic memories of Mr Whippy rolling into their estate on a summers evening. Music playing, happy kids running behind clutching their pocket money. Getting a 99, with a flake for 99 pence.
Not me! I went to a boarding school in the Gloucestershire countryside. It wasn’t on Mr Whippy’s route.
I can’t even remember him coming down the street where we lived!
Many of you will have these memories but still share my loathing for him.
I’m sure there are more than 50 reasons why I hate that Soft Ice Cream peddling dealer, but for now we’ll go with my top five!
- He always turns up at the wrong time! Dinner on the table? Mr Whippy arrives! Just taken the baby out the bath? Mr Whippy arrives! About to put kids to bed? Mr Whippy arrives! I mean he turned up last night at 8.30pm! It’s not even summer and its a school night!
- The music is awful. It’s the same crap tune on every single ice cream van! Can’t one of them strike out on their own and be different. Maybe a bit of Beyonce or Katie Perry.
- A 99 isn’t even 99 p anymore. Most charge £1.50! How can you call something a 99 if it’s not 99p anymore!!
- The ice cream isn’t proper ice cream. Have you ever left one on the counter? It turns into shaving foam! Within seconds of buying it, there are white rivers of melted ice cream running down your childs arms.
- There is no communication between different vans. One day THREE! vans came into my estate within 30 mins of each other. FFS even my kids didn’t believe all three of them had run out of ice cream!
I feel it only fair to add a disclaimer. I’m not anti ice cream. I love a nice bowl of ice cream or a cone for that matter. It’s not the price. I’m quite happy to pay for quality. One summer I think I was in line for a share dividend I ate so much Haagen Dazs! I’ve been known to indulge in a cone or three of real ice cream whilst on holiday
What are your thoughts on Mr Whippy and his ilk. Love or Loath?